Friday, December 21, 2012

I've Got Cold Feet!

 
FADE IN:

EXT. TRUAX HOME - FRONT PORCH

The Truax Family is busily attending to evening chores.  The doorbell rings.  Micah runs to the door and opens it to discover about 15 people standing on the porch holding gifts and jars of money.  The remaining Truax family members make their way to the door to see who has arrived.

MICAH
Hello!


GUESTS
We have some gifts for your new sisters and brother.  We made them each a blanket.

Blankets are handed to the Truax family.

GUESTS
We have also been collecting our coins for quite some time and we wanted to bring those to you as well.

Four large jars of coins are handed to the Truax family.

TRUAX FAMILY
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!..... 

Micah goes around and hugs many of the individuals that came to drop off such lovely gifts.

GUESTS AND TRUAX FAMILY
Good-bye!  Good Luck/Thank You!!!

Door closes and Shelly (Truax mom) cries tears of joy.

INT. TRUAX HOME – FAMILY ROOM FLOOR

The Truax children pour contents of coin filled jars onto the floor and count out all the money.

TRUAX CHILDREN
MOM!  We counted everything and it came to $300.44!!!!!

THE END


We have been the recipients of some pretty awesome Christmas Cheer this year.   
With only 22 days left until LIFTOFF and $21,997 more needed to pay for this adoption, 
we are so grateful for each individual and each family that makes an effort to help us reach our goal.
_______________________________________________________________________

Just yesterday I ran into a local thrift store to purchase some shoes for Alina and Maks.  When they leave the orphanage they can’t take anything with them, so we have to provide clothing for them.  Unfortunately I’m not sure of their exact shoe sizes, so I was just guessing.  I decided that it was better to buy them a bit bigger than I imagined they needed than get them too small.  Now I’m just crossing my fingers that what I selected will work until I can get them home and take them to select shoes that fit their feet perfectly.  Since shoes are a pretty important clothing item, I knew that this wasn’t an optional purchase.  I’ve been checking the weather in Mariupol lately… today it’s going to reach a toasty 18 degrees Fahrenheit.  Yeah… walking around barefoot wouldn’t feel too swell!  (Next needed item is a coat for Albina.)

About 5 years ago I decided I wanted some gold shoes.  I went to the store and was pleased to find some beautiful gold wedges in the sale section.  I really liked them, but they weren’t quite the right size (they never seem to have my size in the sale section!).  I tried them on and thought, “These should stretch out a bit and then they’ll be just fine!”  I purchased them and wore them 2 or three times.  Each time I put them on I was miserable.  As cute as they were, it just wasn’t worth the pain!


Have you made that mistake before? 
If so, I have a way for you to make a painful mistake into a beautiful gift!
Donate your shoes to The Fairy Godmother Institute in our name.
They will auction off your shoes and all proceeds will go towards our adoption.
It’s easy.
Really!
Take just a moment to look through your shoes this weekend.
You can learn how to donate through their site.
OR 
You can email me (truaxadoptionadventure@gmail.com) and I can come and gather your donations.

Help us help Albina, Alina & Maks!  

2 comments:

  1. I love this whole clever idea! I have no fancy shoes to donate and I wish I knew Oprah, or some other wealthy shoe lover so I could participate in some way. (The older I get the more I pretty much just go for the comfort.) I can't wait to see how this goes and will watch for updates along the way. Merry Christmas to the Truax Family and I am thinking of you as you continue to press forward in this great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesli! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete